Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Life

Alright. This poem is inspired by a dream I had, which might have been inspired by Lewis' most recent blog post and the film Serial Mum. In the dream I dreamt that I got killed by this old guy, who claimed to be my grandfather. As I was dying I made a HUGE apology to everyone and told them I loved them and then I pulled the knife out of me and killed the old guy, although it was an accident. Anyway, I woke up believing I was dead (very depressing). Then realised I couldn't be dead and I spent the morning very excited by this. During the first ten minutes of Chemistry (while everyone was finding files, coming in, etc) I wrote this.

Curiosity and Habit
There is no point to life,
As far as I can see.
We live from simple habit
And our human curiosity.
But despite this habit,
Which lets us continue living,
And our curiosity,
We are missing so much
In our day-to-day lives.
We've forgotten the miracle
Of it all.
When we wake up,
Out of habit,
And charged with curiosity
We miss the miracle
Of life itself.
We're not excited to think of
The day ahead
Because we focus on a
To-do list.
We miss the smell of morning,
And the touch of the sun.
We miss the taste of an orange,
And the sight of a smile in a friend's eyes.
Life is a miracle
And a gift
Which we sometimes waste
Through habit and curiosity.

I hope it isn't depressing. I showed Soti (school friend) and she said it was depressing but to me it was happy. Marvel at just living, it will make your day.

4 Comments:

Blogger sarah hb said...

I like it :) I find it uplifting and inspiring. I want to go out and gaze upon the world/miracle now. :)

4:22 AM  
Blogger Hele said...

What is life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare?

11:37 AM  
Blogger HHM said...

It's on point. I can think of nothing else to add.

5:37 PM  
Blogger FreeWildebeest said...

"See it happen to a couple of friends
See it happen and the message it sends
Takin off for what's an obvious fall
Just to see what all the fuss is about

It's not your way... not your way
It's not your way

Another habit says he's in love with you
Another habit says he's long over due
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self"

- Habit, Pearl Jam

And am I alone in thinking that curiosity is a good thing? It's what drives us to experience new and wonderfully beautiful things.

Nice poem though :)

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home